Forgive me while I climb onto this small Soapbox...
So earlier this week I was in the car listening to NPR talk about how, while large newspapers are dying while smaller "farm-league" and "fringe" publications, blogs and podcasts are beginning to take a serious look at presenting and reporting on "the news" as they see fit. This made me think very carefully about the future tenure I might be given at TMS, would we, the gaggle of bawdy, lewd and drunk bloggers, become a legitimate news organization that provides fans with an insight into who the next starting line up of the Cubs could be? Could we sway the opinions of Cubs fans throughout the US? Could we really get the Monopoly Man fired?
As the story began to develop on the radio they talked about how organizations like the AARP and the Heritage Foundation both have developed newsletters or blogs to detail their positions, publish articles that support them, and publish editorials and outside commentary (naturally the commentary usually takes a "issue" with the articles, but they are profoundly simple issues that are easily rebutted, hence fortifying the original position taken). Could we at TMS start a movement to rename Wrigley Field to Murton Memorial? Could we become the angel (or demon) next to Lou's ears and tell him to start Matt Murton to return the Thunder? Could we make a plausible argument to remove grass and dirt from Wrigley and replace it with Astroturf made from afro wigs? Could we put Ginger Russ on the TV Show Hells Kitchen? Could Death League become Americas next Pastime? Could we propose "Baseball Shorts" again?
Starting to sound scary isn't it...
What could TMS do if we had the power that places like CBS, ABC, or the Tribune do. Could we conceivably take over the world? *Insert Evil Laugh Here*
But alas, to you loyal legions of readers, fellow food snobs, alcoholics and downtrodden fans I don't think you have anything to worry about, for TMS will never be a "legitimate" news organization that presents the news with no commentary. We will always be opinionated. We will always be hammered drunk and we pledge to never replace the field at Wrigley with Astroturf made from afro wigs.
I will now step down from my soapbox and reassume my intern duties... being the only college student here I was upset when the Communications department didn't call it a "real" internship because someone wouldn't sign the slip nessecary for me to get credit.
WelcomeWelcome to Thunder Matt's Saloon, where the beer is warm and the coverage is sketchy.
- ► 2016 (101)
- Killer Peanuts: Proving One More Time A Black Man ...
- You Make the Call
- TMS No Longer Supports Oasis
- 5 Things That Didn't Always Suck But Do Now
- SPAM Alert
- The Intern Soapbox
- Battle of Who Could Care Less: Cubs vs. Mets
- TMS Booze Project: Gentleman Jack
- Nobody Likes Me, Everybody Hates Me, Guess I'll Go...
- My Sad Little Life: A Recap
- Thunderwatch 2009: Murton Released into the Wild
- Glenallen Hill: 2009 Battle Royale Champion!
- Spare Some Change? GFY!
- Thunderwatch 2009: Murton Back in Bigs
- Movies I’m Not Looking Forward To
- Release The Meatheads!
- TMS Music: The Guilty Razors-Guilty!
- Cubs of Yore Battle Royale: The Final Battle
- Cubs of Yore: Double Dipping to the Finals
- Reduced Sugar Cereals & Why The Future Is Bleak
- Koyie Hill Appreciation Society: 41 Hits & Countin...
- TMS Roundtable: Ghostbusters.
- TMS 2009 Fantasy Football Player Rankings: IDP Edi...
- Hey Cub Fans, Try Not Giving A F&%K
- The Most Hated Man in Professional Sports
- War Criminal: Draft Bonuses
- TMS Endorses Angel Guzman
- TMS 2009 Fantasy Football Player Rankings
- Ginger Russ Drunkblog: It's Teds Day
- Summer Games: Yogging
- GFY August 17th!
- TMS Movie Review: The Warrior
- Back To School...
- TMS Premier League Preview 2009
- TMS Booze Project: Prestige Edition Whiskey
- Underrated: Working at Home
- The Pynchon Project: Mason & Dixon
- The Bachelor Diet
- Fulfilling the Esoterica Quotient: A look at Tubul...
- Hump Day Hottie: Brooklyn Decker
- Americas Gay Cowboy Sweethearts Divorce
- Cubs of Yore: The "Marginal" Edition
- Did You Know?
- "Wrigleyville" Bar Project: Richard's
- Wednesday Will Start The Real Shark Weak
- Bachelor Night with the Cubs
- R.I.P. Arena Football League 1987-2009
- TMS Beer Project: Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Ale
- The Expendables vs. Machete: Greatest Movie Ever M...
- Kubs LIVE! From The Kremlin (Delayed Broadcast)
- TMS Beer Project: Dos Equis Amber
- War Criminal: 2009 Cubs Named Aaron
- Cubs of Yore: Doug Dascenzo
- TMS Fantasy Football 2009 Rankings: Quarterback
- I Can't Drive 25
- Koyie Hill Appreciation Society: 32 Hits & Countin...
- Summer Games: Makeout Point
- Wrigleyville Bar Project: Trinity
- TMS Booze Project: 1792
- War Criminal: Specialty Reserved Parking Spots
- I'm Sorry Milton: I Meant to Say "Massive Disappoi...
- Dude, You're NOT Horrible
- Dude, You're Horrible
- Shark Week Returns!
- ▼ August (64)
- ► 2008 (517)
- ► 2007 (535)