If you followed Britpop in the 1990's, you probably fell into one of two camps: those who preferred Oasis, and those who preferred Blur. I grew up in the United States, but even I knew in those tender teenage years that I must pledge my allegiance to one or the other. I have been a Blur man since that time, tried and true. In those days, I would discount and discredit Oasis in social circles at any given opportunity. Fortunately I matured over the last decade, and in recent years, had come to appreciate Oasis's back catalog.
When Don't Believe the Truth was released in 2005, I was still fairly ambivalent to Oasis. At the prodding of former TMS scribe Governor X, I decided to sit down and give it a spin. I was immediately taken aback by the tight melodies and concise songwriting. It seemed as if Oasis were taking a turn away from the meandering anthemic rock which had served them so well in the past. This album was quite representative of the band's best qualities; Liam's vocals, infectious rhythmic guitar, and a melodic punch to the mouth. The effort actually caused me to anxiously await the release of their last effort, Dig Out Your Soul.
Oh, how naive I was. These were the Gallagher brothers for the love of Christ. How could I not only set aside years of indifference and quasi-hatred, but also be sucked into believing that I could follow this band? Dig Out Your Soul, released in autumn 2008, was the equivalent of a 20-minute fling in a restaurant with Rick Pitino: excitement and expectation culminating in a relative musical abortion. What a horrible, indefensible album. It was a return to the rambling, plodding, tonal nonsense of earlier efforts, in which each song would have benefit by having at least a minute chopped off.
Then came this weekend. Conservative estimates would count last Friday as the third time that Noel Gallagher has quit Oasis. I haven't even quit TMS that many times. Noel, arguably the glue of the band, claims that he was forced out of the group. While it's no secret that the brothers Gallagher have maintained a rocky working and familial relationship, I find it hard to believe that Oasis will become kaput in light of this event. But honestly, who gives a shit now? Time and time again, Noel and Liam have proven themselves to be petulant little children playing a man's game. Will Noel move on to a prosperous solo career? It doesn't matter, and who could really give a shit at this point? I am fairly embarrassed that these jackasses were able to suck me in, and I firmly insist that they will have no such sway over my musical sensibilities ever again.
TMS no longer supports Oasis.
WelcomeWelcome to Thunder Matt's Saloon, where the beer is warm and the coverage is sketchy.
- ► 2016 (101)
- Killer Peanuts: Proving One More Time A Black Man ...
- You Make the Call
- TMS No Longer Supports Oasis
- 5 Things That Didn't Always Suck But Do Now
- SPAM Alert
- The Intern Soapbox
- Battle of Who Could Care Less: Cubs vs. Mets
- TMS Booze Project: Gentleman Jack
- Nobody Likes Me, Everybody Hates Me, Guess I'll Go...
- My Sad Little Life: A Recap
- Thunderwatch 2009: Murton Released into the Wild
- Glenallen Hill: 2009 Battle Royale Champion!
- Spare Some Change? GFY!
- Thunderwatch 2009: Murton Back in Bigs
- Movies I’m Not Looking Forward To
- Release The Meatheads!
- TMS Music: The Guilty Razors-Guilty!
- Cubs of Yore Battle Royale: The Final Battle
- Cubs of Yore: Double Dipping to the Finals
- Reduced Sugar Cereals & Why The Future Is Bleak
- Koyie Hill Appreciation Society: 41 Hits & Countin...
- TMS Roundtable: Ghostbusters.
- TMS 2009 Fantasy Football Player Rankings: IDP Edi...
- Hey Cub Fans, Try Not Giving A F&%K
- The Most Hated Man in Professional Sports
- War Criminal: Draft Bonuses
- TMS Endorses Angel Guzman
- TMS 2009 Fantasy Football Player Rankings
- Ginger Russ Drunkblog: It's Teds Day
- Summer Games: Yogging
- GFY August 17th!
- TMS Movie Review: The Warrior
- Back To School...
- TMS Premier League Preview 2009
- TMS Booze Project: Prestige Edition Whiskey
- Underrated: Working at Home
- The Pynchon Project: Mason & Dixon
- The Bachelor Diet
- Fulfilling the Esoterica Quotient: A look at Tubul...
- Hump Day Hottie: Brooklyn Decker
- Americas Gay Cowboy Sweethearts Divorce
- Cubs of Yore: The "Marginal" Edition
- Did You Know?
- "Wrigleyville" Bar Project: Richard's
- Wednesday Will Start The Real Shark Weak
- Bachelor Night with the Cubs
- R.I.P. Arena Football League 1987-2009
- TMS Beer Project: Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Ale
- The Expendables vs. Machete: Greatest Movie Ever M...
- Kubs LIVE! From The Kremlin (Delayed Broadcast)
- TMS Beer Project: Dos Equis Amber
- War Criminal: 2009 Cubs Named Aaron
- Cubs of Yore: Doug Dascenzo
- TMS Fantasy Football 2009 Rankings: Quarterback
- I Can't Drive 25
- Koyie Hill Appreciation Society: 32 Hits & Countin...
- Summer Games: Makeout Point
- Wrigleyville Bar Project: Trinity
- TMS Booze Project: 1792
- War Criminal: Specialty Reserved Parking Spots
- I'm Sorry Milton: I Meant to Say "Massive Disappoi...
- Dude, You're NOT Horrible
- Dude, You're Horrible
- Shark Week Returns!
- ▼ August (64)
- ► 2008 (517)
- ► 2007 (535)